Elizabeth, New Jersey, is part of a hub of industry that has long contributed to asbestos exposure in the state. Dave Halpern is an Elizabeth mesothelioma lawyer who knows the area and helps victims of exposure hold the responsible companies accountable.
Learn more about Dave Halpern and how he helps his clients. Call us at (800) 769-2027 or complete our Free Consultation form to be put in touch with a lawyer who has more than 30 years of experience working with asbestos victims.
What Does an Elizabeth Mesothelioma Lawyer Do?
Elizabeth mesothelioma lawyers like Dave Halpern are attorneys specializing in advising and representing people harmed by asbestos.
This includes other asbestos illnesses, not just mesothelioma. Asbestos can cause lung cancer and a disease known as asbestosis.
These lawyers are experts in both asbestos and the local area. They can provide several services if you or your family has been exposed to asbestos:
- Help you find a doctor for a diagnosis or specialists for treatment
- Work with medical experts to connect your illness or symptoms to asbestos
- Investigate your exposure to asbestos and determine where and when it happened
- Determine the company, or companies, responsible for your exposure
- Find applicable asbestos trusts and help file a claim for compensation
- Sue companies responsible for asbestos exposure
- Negotiate a settlement for a fair amount of compensation
- Take the case to court if negotiations fail
- Find evidence asbestos contributed to or caused a loved one’s death
- Sue the company responsible for your loved one’s death
Do I Need to Have a Diagnosis to Work with a Mesothelioma Lawyer?
Don’t hesitate to contact an Elizabeth mesothelioma lawyer, even if you don’t have a diagnosis of mesothelioma or another illness. If you were exposed to asbestos, the symptoms may not begin for decades later.
Even if you are not sure if you were exposed to asbestos, a lawyer can help. They know the local area and the history of asbestos use here and throughout the state.
They can look at your past work and employers and determine if you contacted asbestos. They can also help you find a doctor for screenings and diagnosis.
Certain jobs are more likely to have put you in contact with asbestos. Many of these are common in Elizabeth. Consider talking to a lawyer if you worked in the area in any of these jobs:
- Auto mechanic
- Boiler worker
- Construction worker, either skilled or unskilled
- Demolition worker
- Factory and manufacturing worker
- Merchant marine
- U.S. Navy
- Railroad worker
- Refinery worker
- Shipyard worker
- Steel mill worker
- Textile mill worker
Where Could I Have Been Exposed to Asbestos in Elizabeth?
Elizabeth’s founding dates back to the 1600s, but it was not until the late 1800s that it became an industrial hub. Many of the companies that operated here used asbestos and put workers at risk of exposure.
One of the earliest industrial companies in Elizabeth was the Singer Sewing Machine Works. The city’s position on the water made it ideal for a range of industries, from early electric vehicles to oil refineries, manufacturing, shipyards, and more.
Some of the companies in Elizabeth that used asbestos include:
- American Metal Treatment Company
- Armstrong Construction Supply
- Babcock Wilcox Boiler Works
- Banks Shipyard
- Central New Jersey Railroad
- Esso Standard Oil Company
- Exxon Refinery
- General Refractories
- Humble Oil and Refining Company
- Owens Corning Fiberglass Corporation
- Reichhold Chemical
- Singer Manufacturing Company
- Warner Quinlan Asphalt Company
Another way that people can be exposed to asbestos in Elizabeth is through old buildings. Many government buildings, public school buildings, and residential homes are old enough to have been constructed with asbestos.
In past decades, many construction materials contained asbestos, especially insulation. Old asbestos in buildings can deteriorate, sending fibers into the air. Renovations also put you at risk for exposure if there is no proper abatement done first.
What Should I Look for in an Elizabeth Mesothelioma Lawyer?
It’s not difficult to find lawyers and firms in Elizabeth advertising asbestos services. Not all are the same, though. Start by looking for an asbestos and mesothelioma lawyer whose practice is solely or almost entirely focused on asbestos.
These firms and lawyers will have the most relevant experience. Also, look for these in the lawyer you hire:
- A license to practice in New Jersey and experience in and around Elizabeth
- Past wins for similar clients and references from those clients
- Experience that makes you feel confident in their ability to help you
- A free initial consultation
- A willingness to answer all your questions and communicate readily
- The time and resources needed to give your case the attention it deserves
- A contingency payment plan
Our easy contact form for a Free Initial Consultation will put you in touch with Dave Halpern, a leading advocate for asbestos victims in Elizabeth. He can provide answers, legal options, expert advice, and compassionate guidance.
Page Reviewed and Edited by
Dave Halpern, Mesothelioma Attorney
Dave Halpern is a Pennsylvania and New Jersey mesothelioma attorney with over 30 years of experience. He has investigated hundreds of cases and won numerous multimillion dollar settlements and verdicts for asbestos victims. Dave prides himself on working tirelessly to help his clients in their time of need.